Monday, January 5, 2015

Week #30... Ballet, Burning Houses, and Bike Crashes!

-So this week we had a wonderful Christmas/New Year party for the district and the missionaries (about 22 of us) did a 10 minute performance. I was in a few different parts of the performance but by far the most memorable was the ballet performance. Not sure I did too good but I tried. There were about 6 of us doing ballet and none of us really knew what we were doing. It was more for funny than for real. 

-Yesterday I was on splits because my companion was sick and I was using his bike which I wasn't used to and I didn't know that the handle bars weren't stable and so..I was riding and leaned to far to one side and the handle bar came off and I went literally face first into the ground, with the handle bar still in my hand but not attached to the bike. Try and picture it. 

-Luckily I wasn't going to fast so I all I had was some nice bumps and bruises. But 6 months into my mission I got my first bike crash. Solid.

-Been ball handling everyday now instead of doing the 100 pushups 100 pullups 100 situps challenge. I could use some ideas for ball handling though. Anyone? 

-Yesterday also on splits we got a call from a member of the Elder's branch I was in and she told us that her house was burning down. It was the craziest. We raced to her house as fast as we could and thought we were about to bust into the house like firefighters or "Bomba" as they call them here and were preparing for one of the most harrowing experiences of our lives. Going to try and save these people inside the burning kampung (little village) house. My adrenaline was crazy high.

-But it turned out when we got there that the bomba squad was already in the house and so we didn't have to go in. But still one of those experiences you won't ever forget. 

-Everyone turned out to be ok. So all good :) 

To be honest the mission is the best thing. And I love it. I would stay on a mission forever if I could. Don't get me wrong there are some really hard days. Some days I wish that I could just drop on my bed dead but then there are days where you see real change in people's lives and it becomes the most fulfilling work I could ever even think to accomplish. There is nothing like watching someone's life change and being a part of it. I love it out here.

Before I go, I want to share one thing. The Asia Area Presidency was here and he talked about the pearl and the box. We go to buy a pearl and we find a pearl but it is covered with an extraordinary box. It is an absolutely gorgeous box. Fine linens and designs. But we end up forgetting about the pearl. 

That is what happens in the church a lot. We focus so much on the box or the church organization and for some people that is why they join the church. They see the beautiful box or organization/church that can help them have friends etc. But we cannot forget the reason. The pearl, Jesus Christ and his Atonement. The reason why. The real gift. 

Don't forget it. 

Sending my love to you all,

Happy New Years! 

Elder Pierce 

平张老

No comments:

Post a Comment