Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Week #20.... The Good in the Bad!

Dear All,

So this week my watch got stolen right from inside the church, while we were all playing basketball outside on the court. I had left it on top of my bag. It was a gift from Dad so we looked on the security cameras and found out it was some Malay kids that some of the other elders knew. They went to their house and got it back. Thievery is real out here. 

Also, our recent convert Brother Tan got his next batch of garbage money stolen again. So sad. We felt so bad he hadn't eaten for two days and so we brought him some food. He is doing great though. As happy as always! 

But don't worry I love the people here they are seriously so humble and amazing but this just seems to be an occurring problem. I am learning fast not to leave my stuff out for even a couple minutes. 

So last week I forgot to mention that I was able to confirm Brother Tan as a member of the church and give him the gift of the Holy Ghost. Even though our branch is in English he doesn't speak a lick of English and so I confirmed him in Chinese..it was kind of scary considering I had never done that in English but I guess what better way to start!! Also I translate usually for Sacrament meeting for the people who don't understand enough English to get by. 

This week my companion had a pretty decent bike crash and he got a decent concussion from it despite wearing a helmet so he had to go to the hospital. Biking out here is pretty dangerous but we are careful don't worry. 

Also we went to the wind caves this week which was insane. I sent some pictures but literally we were amid like a million bats off the main trail squeezing our way through crevices and rock climbing huge walls. It was intense but a lot of fun. There were like a million huge spiders and insects inside though. And I must of hit my head on the ceiling at least a hundred times. 

Also, this week Penny one of our investigators will be getting baptized! Super happy for her and the huge change she has made in her life. 

quick thought:
So when we had our bikes stolen..that night as we were searching for them we ran into a guy at his house who we asked if he had seen anything suspicious. He said no but feeling compassion for us..let us borrow his bike for a couple days. We were shocked at his kindness but took it for the couple days and then returned it. When we returned it he started asking questions about what we did and eventually we started teaching him. We had a really good lesson with him last week and he is really searching for the truth. He is amazingly prepared to hear the gospel. We have another lesson with him tongiht..We realized that perhaps there was a reason that our bikes got stolen. God sometimes works in mysterious ways. And you can always look and find good in the bad. 

I read this talk by our prophet Thomas S. Monson and it really hit home..

"This is our one and only chance at mortal life—here and now. The longer we live, the greater is our realization that it is brief. Opportunities come, and then they are gone. I believe that among the greatest lessons we are to learn in this short sojourn upon the earth are lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not. I plead with you not to let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and nonexistent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey—now. Rather than dwelling on the past, we should make the most of today, of the here and now, doing all we can to provide pleasant memories for the future." -Thomas S. Monson

Love you all,

Elder Pierce


“Do … human beings ever realize life while they live it—every, every minute?” -Emily Webb

No comments:

Post a Comment